ATDP is introducing a new and flexible way for you to enhance your professional advocacy knowledge. It`s called CPD - Continuing Professional Development.
CPD is a points-based program similar to that used by many other professions. The program aims to ensure the provision of high-quality services by Advocates to current and former ADF members and their dependants. It also meets VITA`s requirement for maintaining your professional Indemnity Insurance coverage.
How CPD works:
Your CPD year commences on 1 July 2018. As a consequence, all Level 1 - 4 Advocates who have completed RPL, and who are not enrolled in a learning pathway will be required to undertake CPD and earn a minimum of 15 CPD points each year. In your first year, you will need to complete at least four of the five Update Modules. These Update Modules have been designed to better familiarise you with the unique challenges facing veterans, in particular, younger veterans.
Your CPD requirement after the first year is to earn a minimum of 45 CPD points over any 3 year rolling period. Excess points earned in one year cannot be carried forward to your points tally in the next year. If you don`t meet your minimum points requirement in any one year (called `in arrears`), you will be expected to make up the shortfall in the next year. If you meet the minimum requirement every year, you status as an Advocate will be termed `current`.
Once you have completed your first year requirements, you will be able to choose more widely from the available CPD activities. Additional activities will be added as the program matures.
CPD points are not awarded to those advocate candidates who are currently enrolled in a learning pathway at either Levels 1, 2, or 3. Your CPD obligation will only start once you have been awarded your Statement of Attainment.
Key points to remember:
CPD Information Sessions:
- CPD is about helping you become a better Advocate to provide better support to the veterans and their families.
- You initial CPD obligation is to complete 4 of the 5 Update Modules as a priority in your first CPD year.
- As well as these priority modules you may, once you have completed your first year requirements, choose more widely from the other available CPD activities.
- You will be expected to accrue a minimum of 15 CPD points each CPD year. CPD runs on a financial year basis e.g. for CPD year 1 - 1 July 2018 to 30 June 2019. For any subsequent 3 year rolling period, you will need to earn a minimum of 45 CPD points.
Please find attached to this email, a document which contains a step-by-step set of instructions to help you to login to CPD and navigate your way around the CPD home page. Should the document have become detached from this email, it can be accessed from here for a PDF version or here for a Word version.
- CPD Information sessions are currently being held across all 3 regions and will continue for the next few months. You will be notified when a CDP Information Session is about to be delivered near you.
- You are strongly encouraged to attend one of these sessions to gain a better appreciation of the CPD and how it will affect your advocacy role into the future.
If you have any questions about CPD, please go to the CPD - FAQ page. Alternatively, please talk to someone in your local CoP, your Veteran Centre, your Regional Manager, or send an email to The CPD team at: firstname.lastname@example.org, who will be happy to answer any of your questions.
On behalf of the ATDP National Training Team.